You are here

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Civic Centre, High Road, Wood Green, N22 8LE

Contact: Dominic O'Brien, Principal Scrutiny Officer 

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

FILMING AT MEETINGS

Please note that this meeting may be filmed or recorded by the Council for live or subsequent broadcast via the Council’s internet site or by anyone attending the meeting using any communication method. Although we ask members of the public recording, filming or reporting on the meeting not to include the public seating areas, members of the public attending the meeting should be aware that we cannot guarantee that they will not be filmed or recorded by others attending the meeting. Members of the public participating in the meeting (e.g. making deputations, asking questions, making oral protests) should be aware that they are likely to be filmed, recorded or reported on. 

 

By entering the meeting room and using the public seating area, you are consenting to being filmed and to the possible use of those images and sound recordings.

 

The chair of the meeting has the discretion to terminate or suspend filming or recording, if in his or her opinion continuation of the filming, recording or reporting would disrupt or prejudice the proceedings, infringe the rights of any individual or may lead to the breach of a legal obligation by the Council.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair referred Members present to agenda Item 1 as shown on the agenda in respect of filming at this meeting, and Members noted the information contained therein’.

2.

Apologies for absence

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Apologies for absence had been received from Cllr Sarah James and Cllr Sheila Peacock. Apologies for lateness had been received from Cllr Mike Hakata.

 

3.

Items of Urgent Business

The Chair will consider the admission of any late items of urgent business (late items will be considered under the agenda item where they appear. New items will be dealt with as noted below).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

None.

 

4.

Declarations of Interest

A Member with a disclosable pecuniary interest or a prejudicial interest in a matter who attends a meeting of the authority at which the matter is considered:

 

(i) must disclose the interest at the start of the meeting or when the interest

becomes apparent, and

 

(ii) may not participate in any discussion or vote on the matter and must withdraw from the meeting room.

 

A member who discloses at a meeting a disclosable pecuniary interest which is not registered in the Members’ Register of Interests or the subject of a pending notification must notify the Monitoring Officer of the interest within 28 days of the disclosure.

 

Disclosable pecuniary interests, personal interests and prejudicial interest are

defined at Paragraphs 5-7 and Appendix A of the Members’ Code of Conduct.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Pippa Connor declared an interest by virtue of her membership of the Royal College of Nursing.

Cllr Pippa Connor declared an interest by virtue of her sister working as a GP in Tottenham.

 

5.

Deputations/Petitions/ Presentations/ Questions

To consider any requests received in accordance with Part 4, Section B, Paragraph 29 of the Council’s Constitution.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

None.

6.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 199 KB

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

With regards to the minutes of the meeting held on 8th March 2018:

 

·         Regarding Day Opportunities Development (item 69) it had been recommended that an engagement event be set up with service users and officers to get a good understanding of the day opportunities provision. It was noted that the Joint Partnership Board has a number of reference groups involving service users already established and may therefore be able to help in obtaining input from services users about current day opportunities provision and service development.

·         Regarding the Physical Activity for Older People Scrutiny Review Update (item 70) it was noted that a further progress report to the Panel would be required to monitor progress on the recommendations.

·         Regarding Suicide Prevention (item 74) it was noted that an update on this item was already scheduled for the Panel meeting on 1st November 2018.

 

AGREED: That the Chair of the A&H scrutiny panel should email the co-Chairs of the Joint Partnerships Board to agree on the most appropriate way forward.

 

AGREED: That an update on Physical Activity for Older People be added to the Work Programme.

 

AGREED: That the minutes of the Adults and Health Scrutiny Panel meeting held on 8 March 2018 be approved as a correct record.

 

AGREED: That the minutes of the Adults and Health Scrutiny Panel meeting held on 8 February 2018 be approved as a correct record.

 

7.

Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 479 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Connor noted that although the Areas of Responsibility for the Adults & Health Scrutiny Panel (on page 33 of the agenda pack) included the item “tackling unemployment and worklessness” it had been agreed that this would be transferred to the main Overview & Scrutiny Committee.

AGREED: That the terms of reference, protocol for Overview and Scrutiny and the policy areas/remits and membership for each Scrutiny Panel for 2018/19 be noted.

 

8.

Appointment of Non Voting Co-opted Member

Additional documents:

Minutes:

AGREED: That Helena Kania be appointed as a Non-Voting Co-Opted Member to the Adults and Health Scrutiny Panel for 2018/19.

 

9.

Performance Update pdf icon PDF 160 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Charlotte Pomery, Assistant Director for Commissioning, introduced the report on performance indicators for Priority 2 as at June 2018, noting that the Priority Dashboards illustrate progress towards objectives in the current Corporate Plan but that these measures may need to be amended when the Borough Plan and its required outcomes are introduced soon. Full details on specific performance indicators were provided on the performance “wheels” and charts included in the agenda pack.

In response to questions from the panel Charlotte Pomery, Will Maimaris, Director for Public Health and Paula Rioja, Senior Performance Officer said:

·         In relation to the chart on care homes on page 64 of the agenda pack, which relates to the percentage of care homes in Haringey rated as Good or Outstanding, the latest figure is 26 out of 39 care homes which is 67%. Panel members requested that these numbers be provided for performance indicators in future and not just the percentage as this would provide a clearer picture.

·         On why this figure of 67% (of care homes rated Good or Outstanding) was significantly below the London average of 83%, there are issues of capacity and also a general difference on this between the inner London boroughs and the outer London boroughs. The figures for Haringey are broadly comparable to the rest of North Central London.

·         Most Haringey residents that are placed in care homes out of the borough are in Enfield or Barnet boroughs and there is a small quality assurance team that works closely with providers, the CQC and others in order to improve their processes.

·         In relation to the STI figures on page 48, a significant number of condoms were distributed in Haringey through the national C Card scheme. A more detailed breakdown of the types of STIs diagnosed in the borough would be circulated to the panel (Action: Will Maimaris)

·         In relation to the figures about falls on page 57 and whether the improvements were a consequence of health or social care funding, this was covered by the Better Care Fund which is jointly funded.

·         In relation to the figures on social contact on page 54, this was an important indicator because social isolation has a significant impact on wellbeing but it should also be noted that the threshold for being included in this outcome indicator (percentage of users who have had as much social contact as they would like) is quite high.

·         In relation to the figures on the time credits network on page 52 it was pointed out that membership might not necessarily mean active participation and so a more detailed breakdown would be circulated to the panel. (Action: Charlotte Pomery)

·         In relation to the figures on hypertension on page 47 it was clarified that the undiagnosed hypertension figures were derived from modelled estimates by Public Health England based on the demographics of the borough.

 

AGREED: That the performance update be noted.

 

10.

Cabinet Member Q&A

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Peray Ahmet, Cabinet Member for Adults and Health, introduced herself to the panel and provided an update on recent developments on issues relating to her portfolio:

-          A decision was taken by Cabinet in June to keep Osborne Grove nursing home open for existing residents and to conduct a feasibility study on future options for the home.

-          A redesign group will be set up in the next month or so for adult social care to explore different models of working.

-          Options are being looked at on delivering a manifesto pledge on ensuring that the Council pays the London Living Wage, including for home care workers.

-          An ‘expo’ on adult social care was expected to be held in November for Councillors and others to provide information about services that are currently being delivered and to provide an opportunity to speak to practitioners.

In response to questions from the panel about the Osborne Grove nursing home, Cllr Ahmet along with Beverley Tarka, Director for Adults and Health and Charlotte Pomery, Assistant Director for Commissioning, said:

-          In relation to the operation of Osborne Grove, various options were being explored but Cllr Ahmet ruled out working with a private sector operator.

-          Since the last CQC report for Osborne Grove, the registered manager of the home had been changed and additional management support had been added to the governance structure. While the level of oversight and governance had been improved it was important to note that even before the CQC report there was a commissioning imposed embargo on new placements at Osborne Grove due to issues of safety of care and some of these issues remain. The Commissioning Quality Assurance manager carries out audits of the improvements made based on key performance indicators but this has not yet reached the point at which the embargo could be lifted has still not been reached. Beverley Tarka agreed to circulate a summary of the current status of the key performance indicators relating to Osborne Grove. (Action – Beverley Tarka)

-          The Best Interests meetings are a process by which an Osborne Grove resident’s families, friends, clinicians, care home staff and others are gathered to discuss any issue to determine the right action in the best interests of a resident.

-          A report in 2015 highlighted fire safety shortcomings at Osborne Grove. A rigorous response by management followed and a subsequent inspection approved the changes that had been made. The Overview and Scrutiny Committee is currently in the process of conducting a fire safety review so this could be considered as part of that work.

-          In terms of next steps, the co-design group will continue to meet on a monthly basis, a feasibility study is due to be carried out, there will also be further stakeholder engagement and then a report to Cabinet will follow sometime next year. Cllr Ahmet agreed to share the timeline of next steps. (Action: Cllr Ahmet)

 

AGREED: That a further update on Osborne Grove be provided  ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

Community Wellbeing Framework pdf icon PDF 746 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Dr Negin Sarafraz-Shekary, Public Health Specialist, provided an update on the Community Wellbeing Framework, following on from her previous update to the Panel in March 2018.

The Community Wellbeing Framework is an approach to bring community-based interventions together under one umbrella. It has three key elements which are Local Area Co-ordination, Community Asset Mapping and Workplace Training for frontline staff.

Local Area Coordination is a community-based approach working with individuals to help them achieve their vision of a better life. This is a national model and Haringey Council is part of a national network called the Local Area Coordination Network. Two local co-ordinators have been in place in Haringey since November 2017, one in Hornsey and one in the Northumberland Park/White Hart Lane area and they have received over 200 introductions from people in the community.

Good progress had been made on integration with other services. However, there remains a wider need across parts of the borough not covered by the local area coordinators and obtaining further funding for this had proved to be challenging.

In response to questions from the panel, Dr Sarafraz-Shekary and the Director for Public Health, Will Maimaris, said:

-          Leeds Beckett University is the independent evaluator of the project and the Five Ways to Wellbeing themes were being used as the main method of measuring effectiveness.

-          In relation to the asset mapping, local area co-ordinators work closely with other community groups and build up knowledge of services to which they can signpost. The challenges of keeping the online directory up to date were acknowledged, including the issue that, while there are a lot of community groups that could potentially be added to the directory, it is necessary for them to go through some form of quality assessment before they can be added.

-          A piece of evaluation work was currently being carried out concerning the demographics and location of service users along with their main issues. This report could be shared with the panel when it had been finalised.

-          One of the area co-ordinators had been working with Cllr Weston to make ward councillors aware of the project so that they can signpost constituents to it where appropriate. 

 

AGREED: That the update be noted and that the interim evaluation report be brought to the panel when available in approximately nine months.

 

12.

Work Programme Update pdf icon PDF 215 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cllr Pippa Connor introduced this item noting that the panel would shortly need to add issues to its Work Programme for the year so this was an opportunity to suggest some ideas. A community engagement event known as the Scrutiny Café was due to take place later in September which would also enable local residents and community groups to feed into this process so the work programme would not be finalised until after this.

In addition, the previous panel had begun a scrutiny review on Care Homes late last year and although an interim report had been published in March 2018 the review had not been completed by the time of the local elections. An evidence session is therefore being held on 4th October which is expected to hear from the Care Quality Commission, Royal College of Nursing, UNISON and the National Association of Care & Support Workers (NACAS).

Suggestions for topics for the Work Programme from panel members included:

·         How difficult it can be for residents to access services such as delays of carer assessments.

·         Funding pressures on adult social care.

·         Barriers to accessing GP services.

·         Future links between the North Middlesex hospital and the Royal Free hospital.

 

13.

New Items of Urgent Business

To consider any items admitted at item 3 above.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

None.

 

14.

Dates of Future Meetings

Additional documents:

Minutes:

It was noted that the meeting scheduled for 4th October 2018 would now be used as an evidence session for the Panel’s Care Homes scrutiny review.

The next full meeting of the Adults and Health scrutiny panel was scheduled for 1st November 2018.